Saturday 14 October 2017

UNIT 1-1 GRAMMAR: CAN FOR PERMISSION AND ABILITY

Ability:

We use can to talk about someone’s skill or general abilities:
She can speak several languages.
He can swim like a fish.
They can’t dance very well.
We use can to talk about the ability to do something at a given time in the present or future:
You can make a lot of money if you are lucky.
Help. I can’t breathe.
They can run but they can’t hide.

MINUTE 2:15

Permission:

We use can to ask for permission to do something:
Can I ask a question, please?
Can we go home now?
could is more formal and polite than can:
Could I ask a question please?
Could we go home now?
may is another more formal and polite way of asking for permission:
May I ask a question please?
May we go home now?
We use can to give permission:
You can go home now if you like.
You can borrow my pen if you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment